This old Jewish cemetery is created by Ashkenazi Jews and dates back to 1694. It was expanded during the 18th and 19th century and in 1867 a brick wall was built around the cemetery. Around 9000 people are buried here.
Many of the tombstones are broken by natural decay through the years. Parts of the wall were leaning so much that they almost fell over. Though the cemetery is not in use anymore, the wall got restored and a foundation started to restore the roughly 3000 tombstones.